The classic top 10 tips to make your Christmas decorations stand out are:
Pretty Poinsettias: Purchase your
poinsettias in the bud stage and let them bloom after they had been put
on display so that they keep looking fresh and last longer.
2) Flower Fertilizer: To keep the flowers fresh throughout the
Christmas holidays, use a solution of 20-20-20 fertilizer or Miracle
Grow for the initial watering in your newly-bought poinsettia plant.
Water your plants every three days to keep them from drooping before the
3) Safe from Weather: Keep your indoor and outdoor Christmas
decorations and seasonal plants safe from weather by setting them away
from drafts and heat vents.
4) Gifts of Nature: Have a good look at your surroundings and
see what beauty Nature has gifted us with. You can use them as part of
your Christmas decorations. Some of the things that you might use are
wild persimmon branches, tobacco leaves, golden rain tree pods, cotton
stars, okra, pinecones and cedar berries that can be used creatively in
unique arrangements with their beauty enhanced by using decorative items
such as colorful balls, tassels, paper cuttings and silver ribbons.
5) Preserving Greens: To store green plants and flowers until
they are used in Christmas decoration, keep them in a cool dry place and
spray them with an anti-desiccant (available at garden centers)
generously to prevent moisture from escaping.
6) Ever Green Evergreens: Soak your evergreens in a bucket of
water before making garlands or wreaths to re-hydrate them and to remove
dirt and soil from them.
7) Christmas Centerpieces: Be creative and make a memorable
holiday centerpiece by putting citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons,
limes and kumquats in a bowl and topping them up with a pineapple. You
may also keep a bowl of red apples as a centerpiece.
8) Pamper the Nose: Christmas smells and scents such as that of
a crackling fire, the fresh greens and cookies baking in the oven
tantalize us with warmth and festive spirit. Greet your guests with
aroma of cinnamon sticks and cloves simmering in hot water in a
9) Fragrant Beauty: Pots of paperwhites or paperwhite bulbs
included in Christmas decorations not only look beautiful but are
fragrant too. They are easily available at nurseries and garden centers.
10) Gingerbread House: One of the classic and most popular
Christmas decorations, Gingerbread houses are beautiful to look at and
tasty to eat. So don't forget to make some for this Christmas.
Here are some tips on Christmas decoration and how to keep your poinsettias and evergreens fresh all throughout the holiday season.