Snowman is the lovable figure always associated with Christmas. It is the anthropomorphic snow sculpture of human being. The reason for its association is not recorded in history. The popularly believed view is that it shares its origin from the fact that Santa Claus comes from the North Pole. As per old diaries and chronicles, the activity of snowman making dates back to the Middle Ages. It started in Europe when during each snowfall one would find townsfolk making snowmen in the streets.
Snowman is made by assembling snow together and making it into balls. This is possible when the powder snow reaches its melting point and becomes compactable. The balls of three different sizes are packed together to form the snowman. But these are temporary snowman and easily melt down. Today, snowman has grown to be an integral part of Christmas decoration. Want to have a never melt snowman at your home for this Christmas? Check the below tips to make it yourself for your home.
How To Make Never Melt Snowman Christmas Centerpiece
We bring you some basic tips to make Christmas never melt snowman for centerpiece at home.
Never Melt Snowman Centerpiece
- 3 Styrofoam balls (size depends on how big snowman you want)
- Hot glue gun
- Thick cardboard
- Old used red colored children socks or gloves
- Red ribbon
- Red toothpick
- Snowtex paint
- 5 black buttons
- 2 hard twigs
- Strip of black and red colored felt>
- Kitchen knife
- Golden glitters
- Take a Styrofoam ball (cut off one end of the ball to make a flat surface). This will serve as the head of the snowman.
- Take two more Styrofoam balls and cut off both the ends. These balls shall serve as the body and bottom of the snowman.
- Take the cardboard and cut it big enough to form the base for your snowman. This will be the standing point and so should be large and strong enough.
- Glue one of the balls with both end cut on the wooden surface. This is the bottom part of the snowman. Then paste the other ball with both end cut above it. This forms its body. Finally, paste the head above the body of the snowman. Allow it to dry.
- Using a paintbrush, paint the entire snowman and base with Snowtex paint. Use two to three shades in order to create a better impact.
- Before the paint dries, push the 3 black buttons into the body maintaining equal space between them. These are the buttons for its shirt. Also press 2 black buttons in the head to form the eyes.
- Break the toothpick into half and insert in into the face to make the nose. It should be pushed in such a way that it is pointed side out.
- Push the twigs on either side of the body to form its arm. Cut a small strip from the black felt and roll it. Now curve it and paste below the nose. This shall make his mouth. Now allow the snowtex paint to dry.
- Take a strip of red-colored felt and wrap it around its neck as a scarf. You may also fold it to form a tie-like structure and glue it around the neck of snowman.
- Now prepare the hat for snowman. For this, take a small sock or gloves (child-size) and cut off the foot or finger end of it. Take the cuff part and roll it once or twice. Place it on its head and glue it.
- Close the open top end of the hat with ribbon. You can fold the ribbon as you like and give as many designs as possible.
- Tin can
- Cotton strip
- White paper
- Red and black colored felt
- Black buttons
- Take an old tin can of the size as required by you for your snowman. Clean it and dry. Remove the label of the can.
- Place the tin can on a cardboard and mark the outline. This will serve as the hat for the snowman.
- Use a paintbrush to cover the outer surface of the can with glue. Now take cotton and press it with your hand to make it flat. Paste the cotton at the exterior of the can. Completely cover the can with cotton. The body of snowman is ready.
- Crumble the newspaper to form a ball shape. Paste a clean sheet of white paper on it. Apply glue on the white sheet and paste another strip of cotton on it. Thus, the head of your snowman is ready. Do not put cotton at the bottom of the head.
- Apply glue on the bottom of the head and paste it to the body (can with opened end turned down).
- Cut out small circles from black felt paper and paste it to the body of snowman to form the buttons for its shirt.
- Also cut out small circles for eye and nose and a curve to form its smiling mouth. Glue them to the head of snowman at the appropriate place.
- Cut a piece of red colored felt and wrap it around snowman's neck. Glue it to keep it intact.
- Now make the hat for snowman. For this, cut out a circle, from the outline of the can drawn on the cardboard. Measure the diameter and cut out another circle of half the diameter of the first one. Cut out a rectangular piece and glue it on the bigger circle by folding it to form a circular rectangle. Glue the small circle at the top of the rectangle. Hat is ready. Now glue it to the head of snowman.