A Christmas tree without being decorated with the different glistening varieties of snowflake ornaments is almost incomplete. Snowflake ornaments are, in fact, regarded as the prime symbols of Christmas time. Hanging down from the different twigs and branches of the tree, they give a sense of joy and elation and also create a mood of festivity and celebration among the people. There are more than 56 different types and patterns of snowflake ornaments made of a variety of materials. You can also give a personal touch to these ornaments by adding a photo of your near and dear ones or spraying it with your favorite perfume. The most common and the most preferred variety of these ornaments are the stellar dendrite or the radiating dendrite type (tree-like). The other varieties include simple prisms, stellar plates, sectored plates, hollow columns, needles, stars, triangular crystals, radiating and rimmed.
Most interestingly, you can even teach your children to design their own Christmas snowflakes out of leftovers and easily available resources like papers, ice-cream sticks, toothpicks etc. Some of these lovely and colorful ornaments can be even worn by children and pets at home, like the glass-drop finial ornaments, the Spun-Acrylic Butterfly ornaments etc.
There are very fascinating and exciting ways of creating a Christmas snowflake. Creating such ornaments can also be like a family project where you can spend some quality time with your family, friends or kids. If you are lucky enough to live in an area where the temperature falls below the freezing point, you can even create a frozen snowflake. Some very interesting ways of making such ornaments are given below.
How To Make Homemade Snowflake Ornament
Beaded Snowflake Ornament
Christmas Snowflake Ornaments are very easy to make and it glorifies the entire occasion of Christmas. Read on to know how to make Christmas snowflake ornament craft.
Christmas Snowflake Ornament Crafts
- Glitter paint.
- Make a set of three beaded pins (beads placed on corsage pins with pearl ends in any desired order). Now using a different arrangement, make another set of four beaded pins. You need to make a third set of two beaded pins also.
- Now, place a cork cut to 1/4th of its size on the working table so that the round portion of the cork is lying on the working surface.
- Now insert a set of similarly beaded corset pin in the cork, close to the working surface. The remaining pins of the first set are similarly inserted opposite to each other in between the first two pins.
- Next, poke the second set of four pins into the cork alternating with the first set of four pins and slightly closer with the top of the cork. Place the remaining set of the two beaded pins in each round end of the cork.
- Finally, the cork is painted using glitter paint and allowed to dry. The snowflake is then hung to the tree using a desired length of a monofilament thread.
Toothpick Snowflake Ornament
- White Acrylic color
- It is really amazing that beautiful snowflake ornies can be crafted from mere toothpicks also and can be like a fun-craft for children. Paint four toothpicks in white color and allow it to dry for some time. Now glue the pointed end of the toothpick into a pom-pom. The remaining toothpicks are glued to the pom-pom in the same manner and then allowed to dry again.
- After this, apply a generous amount of glue over the unglued portion of each of the toothpicks and attach pom-poms to this end too.
- Now allow it to dry for overnight. After it has dried down, attach a piece of yarn around one of the toothpicks and some glue to provide additional strength to the attachment.
Popsicle Stick Snowflake Ornament
- Hot glue gun
- Popsicle sticks
- White paint
- Silver glitter
- Cross two Popsicle sticks together in the form of an ‘x' and hold them together in the middle with the use of hot glue.
- Now place a third stick, straight in the middle of the ‘x' with the use of the same glue.
- After this cut 6 sticks of about one and a half inch down at an angle so that you have 12 sticks each of one and half inch long.
- The entire ornament is then painted white and then sprinkled with silver glitter all over. After it dries, shake off any excess glitter that is present over the ornament.
- However, keep your small children away from this craft. The making of this ornament requires the use of hot glue gun and hence not recommended for children under 8.
Beveled Glass Snowflake Ornaments
- Plain glass ornament
- These are very beautiful to look at and can be made from plain glass ornament purchased from any local craft store.
- Diamond shaped beveled glass ornaments are cleaned and dried and leafing adhesive are applied to the edges of the glass.
- After this, apply metal leafing over the adhesive and allow to dry for at least one hour. Now brush off the excess leafing gently and then paint with varnish.
- Apply vinyl snowflake stickers to the center of the ornament and finally, your Christmas ornament is ready to be hung over the Christmas tree or in a sunny window.