Best of Christmas Recipes from
Turkey and Armenian Holiday Treats, the traditional recipe for
'Lookroom' is given here.
If you happen to be in the Middle East or, preferably in Turkey, do not miss to bite into the juicy, starchy, and gorgeous Turkish delight. Prepared from sugar and starch, and loaded with lots of nuts, this flavorful candy will keep you engaged for the nest few hours. For those who haven't got a chance to try this delightful candy, you can make this exotic dessert at home. And what better way can it be to treat your family and friends with flavors of Turkey on Christmas? Since you've cooked up a luxurious English Christmas feast, you can end up the meal with a dessert from across the sea. Discover the recipe of making Turkish delight by steering through the lines given herein.
- 3 cups - Granulated Sugar
- 1 ½ cups - Water
- 3 tbsp - White Corn Syrup
- 3 envelopes - Unflavored Gelatin
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- ¾ cup - Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp - Rose Water Or Vanilla
- ¾ cup - Pistachio Nuts (coarsely chopped)
- Powdered Sugar
- Red Or Green Food Coloring
- Combine granulated sugar with water and corn syrup in a heavy
- Boil until it reaches 240 oF on a candy thermometer.
- Keep hot.
- In a small bowl, soften the gelatin in the lemon juice.
- Set aside.
- In another small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of cold
- Pour it into the hot syrup.
- Stir gently and simmer slowly until very thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Add gelatin and lemon juice and stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Stir in rose water or vanilla, nuts and 2 to 3 drops food
coloring if desired.
- Sprinkle a generous layer of powdered sugar in an 8-inch square
- Pour in mixture and let set in a cool dry place until set.
- Sprinkle with another layer of powdered sugar and cut into 1-inch
- Dredge each square in powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container.
- It is a traditional Armenian and Turkish Christmas treat.
However, it is left white in Armenia, while in Turkey it is usually
colored using food coloring and is known as 'Lookoom'.