A cake that is scrumptious, moist, and tempting yet healthy and appetizing! We are talking of the dark Christmas fruit cake. Made from a multiplicity of fruits and dry fruits, this dessert is a sure-shot addition to your Christmas meal. And since it is winter time, adding a few sprinkles of spices and liquor will bring out the flavor and aroma of the cake and keep you protected from the snowfall outdoors. The very thought of it induces a strong craving for the cake. True to its name, anyone will love to relish this cake without any complaints. With a healthy and lovely meal to feast on, let your guests complete their Christmas meal with a thick slice of this spicy and tangy yet sweet cake. Read further for the dark Christmas fruit cake.
Here is one of the most alluring ideas and recipes for Christmas fruitcakes. A Dark Christmas Fruitcake recipe yields a holiday dessert that melts in mouth almost instantly.
Dark Christmas Fruit Cake
- 1 lb - Blanched Almonds
- 3 lb - Seedless Raisins
- 2 lb - Currants
- 1 lb - Candied cherries (cut in half)
- 1 lb - Dried Figs (chopped)
- 1 lb - Dates (cut-up)
- 1 ½ lb - Chopped and mixed Candied Peels
- 1 lb - Candied Pineapple (cut-up)
- 1 cup - All-purpose Flour
- 3 cup - Soft Butter
- 3 cup - Brown Sugar (packed)
- 12 - Egg Yokes (separated)
- 12 - Egg Whites (separated)
- 5 ½ cup - All-purpose Flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp - Salt
- 2 tsp - Cinnamon
- 2 tsp - Mace
- 2 tsp - Allspice
- 2 tsp - Nutmeg
- 1 tsp - Cloves
- 3 tsp - Baking Soda
- ¾ cup - Prune Juice
- ¼ cup - Brandy
- Mix nuts and fruit in a very large bowl or roasting pan.
- Add 1 cup of flour and toss by hand to coat fruit with flour.
- Cream butter well.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks and transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Sift 5 ½ cups flour with salt, spices and soda and add to creamed mixture alternately with prune juice and brandy.
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add this mixture to the fruit and nuts and blend well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Measure into prepared pans and press well into the corners.
- Heat oven to 275 oF.
- The recipe makes about 28 cups of fruit cake batter and can be baked in a number of different sizes of pan.
- Bake cakes in 8x4x3-inch pans for about 3 hours to make several small cakes for gifts, in 9x5x3-inch pans or Bundt pans for about 3 hours and 15 minutes and in 10-inch tube pans about 3 1/2 hours.
- Let stand in pans a few minutes then turn out on racks and cool.
- Strip off paper and wrap cakes in cheesecloth dampened with brandy and then in foil and store in a cool place.
- Makes about 15 lbs of fruit cake.