A spectacular and classic southern dessert to make for Christmas celebrations! A chess pie is a marvelous and mouth-watering dessert to treat your family and friends with on any occasion. But when Christmas season is around, you have no excuse to escape from including this dessert in your menu. While the cakes, cookies, and candies are done, add this irresistible and yummy pie for your guests to keep choosing the perfect dessert to dig into. Chess pie is rich with whipped cream and walnuts and sweetened with oodles of dates. Further, it is moist, succulent, and melts in your mouth instantly. Glance through the text below to know the recipe of chess pie.
Try one of our unique Christmas Dessert ideas and make the unusual yet delicious Christmas pie this Christmas.
- 1 - Pie Crust
- 3 - Egg Yolks
- 1 tbsp - Flour
- 2/3 cup - Sugar
- 1 1/3 cup - Whipping Cream
- ½ tsp - Salt
- 1 cup - Dates (cut up)
- 1 cup - Chopped Walnuts
- 1 tsp - Vanilla
For Pie Crust:
- A little more than 1/3 cup - Shortening
- 1 cup - Flour
- 2 or 3 tbsp - Water
- Mix shortening into the flour with a fork until mixture is made up of crumbly lumps.
- Add water and toss with a fork until batter is moist.
- Now, using your hands, form the dough into a ball.
- Dust a large flat surface with flour.
- Place ball of dough on surface.
- Dust the dough ball.
- Carefully press ball flat with rolling pin.
- Dust ball again and flip, repeating the process until dough is eight to nine inches in diameter.
- Flip dough over rolling pin and lay it into pie tin.
- Trim edges.
- Set aside while making filling.
- Beat the egg yolks, flour, sugar and salt with a mixer until it is lemon colored and light.
- Now add whipping cream, the dates, the walnuts and vanilla.
- Stir but do not beat.
- When mixture is consistent, pour it into the pie shell and move to an oven preheated to 350 °F.
- Bake for about one hour.
- Pie will be done when crust is golden brown.