When we think of Christmas, we think of Santa Claus, gifts and lots of mouthwatering sweets. When one thinks of superstitions, one's mind quickly wanders to the black cat. Indeed, linking Christmas with superstitions is quite a task, but these superstitions date back to pagan eras and can't be messed with! Do you know that baking the Christmas pies and cakes also have certain superstitions attached to them? Agreed, cakes and pies make the season so much more enjoyable, but nobody would want these delectable desserts to be the source of misfortune. You accidentally break one superstitious covenant and the whole merry season could do down in flames. Hence, caution yourself of the superstitions associated with Christmas cakes and pies mentioned below to steer clear of any bad omens!
Christmas Cakes & Pies Charms
Here are some fun reading about superstitions and rituals related to Christmas Cake Christmas Pie and the charms that use them as their major tools.
Christmas Cakes & Pies Superstitions
- Earlier, everybody was supposed to lend a helping hand in making the Christmas cake.
- Since the Victorian Times, people stirred the cake mix thrice and made a wish for a gift from Santa.
- People used to put silver charms into the mix as well.
- Into the mince pie mix, a sixpence coin for luck; a thimble for prosperity; a ring for marriage and a bachelor's button were also added. Whatever things one got into their piece predicted the year ahead.
- It was considered unlucky to refuse a mince pudding on Christmas Eve.
- A piece for the pie had to be saved for the following day.
- It was considered more and more lucky to eat more Christmas pies in others' homes.
- It was a bad omen to eat mince pies before Christmas Eve and after Twelfth Night.
- One must never cut the Christmas pie as it cuts the luck.
- The dumb cake was made at midnight on Christmas Eve is prepared in complete silence by the bachelors and spinsters. One who made it left their initials on the upper surface of the cake. If the silence remained unbroken, the future partner was believed to come and leave their initials on the cake. If one walked backwards to bed after eating dumb cake, a dream about a future spouse was sure to visit them.
- Three sips of salted water before Christmas dinner was said to bring good luck.
- It was believed to be lucky to eat an apple on Christmas Eve.